Obtaining In State Tuition
Attention UT Students and Parents
Did you know that you can save on average $75,000 over the course of 3 years on Tuition if you are a resident of Texas?
On average In State Tuition runs around $5,000 a semester while Out of Sate Tuition runs around $17,500 a semester. Below is a current chart of the 2012 -2013 Tuition rates for Residents and Non Residents.
If you are looking to establish Residency with the University of Texas than you have come to the right place. Here is a quick overview on how the process works.
Residency by Establishing Domicile
This option for establishing Texas residency is available to
- Citizens or permanent residents of the US (Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.)
- International students who hold an eligible visa.
If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.
To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:
- Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
- Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
- Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
- Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
- Own and operate a business in Texas
- Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas
Now most of you on this website will be looking to follow the option above that is highlighted in green. This option is what typically will make the most sense for students and is the easiest way to establish residency in the State of Texas and be granted In State Tuition at UT. We have helped many students and parents navigate this process and achieve In State Tuition through obtaining residency in the State of Texas. This will help you save thousands of dollars and decrease the overall cost of college.
Please call us today at 512.477.2489 if you would like to talk about how we can help you obtain Residency with The University of Texas.